Build an emergency kit. What you need to survive or evacuate natural disasters.
Do you have your emergency kit together? Not only in your home but in your cars. You will thank yourself later if you think ahead. Natural disasters can strike at any time.
- WATER – At least 1 gallon of water per person for at least 3/4 days. Plus extra for animals.
- FOOD – At least a 3-4 day supply of non-perishable food. Crackers, granola bars, peanut butter, dried fruit, nuts, tuna, etc. Don’t forget special foods like baby formula & food, pet food, special medical food for example diabetics.
- POWER SUPPLIES – Extra batteries, phone chargers, car charger ports with outlets.
- OTHER ITEMS – to think about is flashlights, whistle, manual can opener, knives, first aid kits. Think about trash bags, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, wrench and pliers, disposal plates, cups, utensils, lighter & matches, fire extinguisher, pocket knife, battery power fan, chemical heat & cold packs, blankets, pillows & sleeping bags for each person. Finally you will want supplies for sealing your home like dust masks, duct tape and plastic sheeting.
- EVACUATION – Try to think of where you would go if you had to leave your home? Somewhere close but not too close, maybe relatives or friends, and locate the emergency shelters.
- EVACUATION SUPPLIES – Important family documents, ID’s, passports birth certificates, social security cards, etc. List a Emergency contacts, car titles, deeds, wills, copy of prescriptions, copies of insurance policies. Have plenty of CASH. Gather important family documents into a water proof bag.
- PERSONAL PRODUCTS – Hygiene products, toilet paper and paper towels, toothpaste, and backpacks for everyone, etc.
- EVACUATION KIDS- Diapers, wipes, creams, bottles, toys & entertainment products, baby carrier.
- EVACUATION PETS- Food and water dishes, kennels or cages, leashes, shot records and tags.
- OTHER PREPARATIONS – Store supplies in cool place in water tight bens. Every 6 months rotate food. Once a year update other supplies. Store where you can easily get to and load in car.
- CAR PREPARATION – If a bad storm is approaching? Fill car with gas. and always keep essential gear in car. Things like battery cables, oil, water, and spare tire, blankets, flashlight, and know basic maintenance repairs.
- ACTION PLAN- Check phone to make sure emergency alerts enabled. Make plan for local threats and talk to friends and family to let them know your plans, and help them make their plans and get their supplies together.
- ASSIST OTHERS- Help others in case of Emergency. Others that might need extra help are the elderly, mothers with young children, the disabled. Check the neighborhood and see if others need help.
You might want to check out this emergency Backpack that you can store with a lot of supplies you might need when you have an emergency. Check it out here.
Thank you Education World for this educational video! Be Safe, Stay Prepared!